ADA signage is an important element that requires the attention of all business owners and property managers. Not only is your California business required to keep up with ADA standards, but having compliant signs can be helpful in growing a successful business.
Taking the time to understand ADA requirements and then working to implement those standards shows that you’re committed to providing access for all customers. ADA signage benefits a wide range of people including those who are legally blind, senior citizens, and any other individual that may require assistance when it comes to successfully navigating a location.
What You Need to Know About ADA Compliant Signs
Understanding and interpreting ADA government regulations and standards isn’t easy. In fact, if you’re looking for ADA signage in Orange County, it’s best to connect with an experienced sign company and have them visit your location. They can advise you on what type of signs you need, which ones you don’t need, and where they should be located.
In order for your business to have ADA compliant signs, you must meet the specific requirements and specifications related to character proportions, height, pictorials and braille height and location. Temporary signs are not required to be ADA compliant, however, this is a great opportunity to go the extra mile and ensure they’re compliant as well.
Here are further details about the requirements of ADA signage:
- Signs must include raised characters and braille.
- Pictograms used should be accompanied by the equivalent verbal description placed directly below the pictogram.
- Characters and background of signs should be eggshell, matte, or other non-glare finish, and should contrast with their background
- Signage should be located adjacent to the latch side of the door and not on the door itself.
- Mounting height is 60 inches above the finish floor to the centerline of the sign.
- A directional sign with the accessibility symbol is required to let patrons know where to find the accessible entrance.
It’s important to keep on top of ADA requirements as things can change. Making a commitment to ensuring your ADA signage in California is compliant will help your location be accessible and welcoming to all guests, at all times.
Get ADA Signage from Majestic Sign Studio
Majestic Sign Studio is committed to helping your business get the signage you need to be successful. This includes all types of ADA signs. With experience helping businesses become ADA compliant, our team would be happy to work with you and create customized solutions that support your needs. ADA compliant signs can even include your branding and add a positive element to your interior design. To learn more about using signs to create a safe, welcoming and brand immersive space, contact us.